Pages

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Jimjilbang'n

Remember that D.C. bucket list I made?

Well, unfortunately I was only able to cross-off three of those things during my last few weeks in town. 

Fortunately, the thing that I was most looking forward to became a reality-- Molly and I spent an entire Sunday pampering ourselves at Spa World!

Centreville/Annandale, VA is known as Koreatown in the D.C. metro, and for good reason.
There are TONS of tasty-looking Korean restaurants, exotic grocery stores and local businesses with signs featuring more Korean than English. 

When we first pulled up after our 45-ish minute drive, it looked like we were in the parking lot of a Costco. "Oh. Neat." we thought. Once we stepped inside, however, we walked down the long, quiet, softly lit hallway to the reception area, and all thoughts of the outside world  completely disappeared...

The $40 general admission fee was well-worth it, as we received unlimited access to the pools, saunas, and poultice rooms for up to 12 hours. (Traditionally, jimjilbang's are open 24 hours, so you essentially can stay as long as you like. Spa World changed the time limit in April.) We were there for nearly seven hours. 

You are given a little bracelet that holds your electronic key- this gives access to your locker (where you put your clothes, because you are naked for much of your adventure), and allows you to charge all additional spa services and food to your account that you then settle up at the end. 

We both signed up for the full body scrub (an additional cost, but basically a necessity)-- this was an experience that I will never forget, as long as I live. When it was time for our appointments, we were led to the "scrubbing area" in the bade pool room. A couple of older Korean women donning what else but   matching bra and panties greeted us and directed us to our respective tables, where we were instructed to lie on our backs. These women were seriously amazing at what they do. They spend 45 minutes scrubbing down every inch of your body with enough force to borderline hurt but also feel really relaxing. I felt so clean and fresh afterwards and my skin was impossibly soft. 

We spent the rest of the day sipping bubble tea, (wherein I quickly realized I do not like the tapioca balls-- I just can't with that texture), eating kimchi and bibimbap, and casually rotating between poultice rooms. Each room is like a little hut-- some, like the "ice room" you had to wait your turn for because they only held about 8 people. 

It was such fun getting to go with my friend Molly, because she spent a year teaching English in Korea. She told me so many interesting stories about her time over there, and I got to learn a ton about Korean culture. We spent some quality, and very naked, time together.

I'd recommend this place to anyone living near DC, or visting for an extended period of time. I honestly can't wait to go back!

please excuse my hair. 


Actually, I guess that's the least of my concerns in these outfits. 

2 comments:

  1. This place looks like heaven! I would love to spend a day chilling with a friend. What a fun way to spend a Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sara! It WAS heavenly. I felt completely rejuvenated afterwards. Love your blog, by the way! What I wouldn't give to live in Provence right now... je suis si jalouse!!

      Delete