Pages

Monday, June 17, 2013

Why You Shouldn't Let Your Foreign Language Skills go to Waste

The other day I was proofing a piece of  copy for a client, when I noticed some improper punctuation in the phrase, "à la ____." 

Someone had marked the "a" with an accent aigu instead of an accent grave. OMGCANYOUEVENBELIEVETHAT??

As you can see, it was a very small +1 for me that day, but inside I was gleaming. Huh-ha!. Nine years of French and I finally got to use it on the job!, thought I.

And then I realized how many times I have made it a resolution of mine to "keep up" with my French; to keep it polished and to continue to learn new vocabulary, and to even remain informed of the politics and current events of France and other French speaking countries. 

I decided to make a list of all of the reasons I find it important to hold on to those foreign language skills:

1. It's sexy.
Girls/guys-- everyone loves someone who can speak another language to them.

2. It makes you look smart at your job.
Let's face it- employers love to see language skills on a resume. Many companies prefer bilingual applicants for certain positions, but besides that, it proves that you are educated, and (at least at one point) were dedicated to learning about what's going on in the rest of the world.

3. It's not just a skill, it's an open door into other cultures and experiences.
If you're like me, then you didn't choose the language you were forced to learn in high school just because it seemed like the easiest one. You chose it because you were passionate about the food, the music, the history. You may have studied abroad, and met people who came from backgrounds completely different from your own. It encourages you to continue to travel the world throughout your life.

4. It's good for your brain.
 According to Barbara Zurer-Pearson, Ph.D"When a bilingual person speaks, she always makes a subconscious decision about which word or phrase to use in which language ... This constant mental exercise helps keep the brain sharp."

I am all about teaching children a second language at a young age. Much like learning a musical instrument, studies show that this can lead to higher standardized test scores, and the development of strong "executive function" skills -- an ability to maintain focus on one task when distracted by another. 

So, with that, if you want to join me on my quest to secure this treasured knowledge, I recommend regularly doing the following in your language of choice:

  • read newspapers online
  • watch movies
  • find a local conversationalist group 
  • read books
  • listen to music
  • eat the food!

And, keep a mini dictionary handy at all times :)



Avignon, France 

 a montage of study abroad in France. Hello, 2007 Laura. 


we obviously did a lot of studying.


No comments:

Post a Comment