Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Review: Tastes of Tulsa

I keep telling people that I'm going to learn this city best by eating my way through it.

As such, I've decided to post a review of a new restaurant I've tried in Tulsa at least once a week. These reviews will include overall ratings, and a couple of creepy candids I've snapped with my iPhone. I am now that girl who, not only takes pictures of her food, but posts them. 

Up first, Sushi Alley at Utica Square. 

D and I decided to take a break from all of the unpacking and mole-trapping (yep, we've got moles running rampant in our backyard (more on that--or maybe not--later), to grab some dinner close by.

We drove over to Utica Square and walked around eyeing our various restaurant options. We walked by a sign that read "Sushi"-- literally, we walked right by the place looked so small-- and both stopped in our tracks. "I could do sushi?" were the only words exchanged, and in we went.


 Aptly named 'Sushi Alley' - with such long and narrow quarters, I'm guessing it couldn't seat more than 40-50 people. It was, however, pouring rain outside midway through our meal, which made the atmosphere feel extremely comfortable and cozy. 

After placing our order, we were brought hot miso soup- it was delicious, frankly one of the best miso's I've had. And I've had a lot of miso soup in my day. Then came our appetizer- edamame hummusI'd never seen this on a menu before, and thought it sounded so unique and delicious.  Guess what? It WAS. The serving size was more than enough for two, and our waiter graciously offered extra pita bread (you can honestly never have enough pita bread, amiright?). The pleasant flavor of the hummus was intensified with some fresh lemon squeezed on top.  




Next came glass of wine #2 and the three plates of rolls that we had selected, after some careful consideration and the helpful recommendations of our extremely friendly server. We decided to go with two rolls that were unique to Sushi Alley: the Beef Tataki roll and the Sushi Alley roll, and then one old standard, a Spicy Tuna roll (which did not disappoint).

I am not being overly zealous when I say that this is some of the freshest, healthiest-feeling, best-tasting sushi I have ever had. 


Just look at that. 

Are you salivating yet?

The Beef Tataki roll is topped with fresh, seared beef, basil, strawberries, fresh lettuce, and a spicy/sweet mustard sauce for dipping. It tasted like springtime and was everything that is right with the world.

The Sushi Alley roll featured rock shrimp, crunchy red pepper and--get this--goat cheese. I. was. in. love. If you know me, then you know that I can eat goat cheese by the block. The server pointed out that unlike most sushi locales, they don't use any cream cheese and nothing on the menu is fried. Again, something pretty unique that I really enjoyed.

Sushi Alley gets a solid A. It's a place I would bring my visiting friends and family to- but I'd be sure to make a reservation first. 



Sushi Alley 
1730 Utica Square  Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 592-5539

No comments:

Post a Comment