Pages

Thursday, April 11, 2013

My DC Bucket List

The countdown to the move has begun. Our official date has been set, the moving company has us on the calender, and we're making plans.

I've been bumming a little lately about leaving, because now is absolutely the best time to be in DC. Mother Nature has finally flipped the switch to spring (or rather, summer, seeing as how it topped 90 degrees yesterday), Nationals baseball season is in full swing, and it is peak bloom for the cherry blossoms.

I've done a lot of amazing things during my nearly three years living here, but the other day my friend Molly asked me what else I had left that I wanted to do. So here it is- with t-minus five weeks to go:

1. Visit the Korean day spa in Centreville, VA (www.spaworldusa.com)
This is no ordinary day spa. The gender-segregated public bath house, (by the way, nudity is required when utilizing the pools) or jimjibang as it is called in Korea, features hot tubs, saunas, massages, body scrubs, basically anything you can think of to relax your mind and body. For a $35 entrance fee, you can stay as long as you like- utilize the gym or savor some delicious Bibimbap in the cafe... you can even stay the night. On a mat. On the floor.

Molly, (who lived in Korea) says that we HAVE to sleep there. I don't think I'm quite ready for that.

2. Have Afternoon Tea at the famous Willard InterConitnental Hotel
#fancytime- I wanted to organize a group to go around Christmas time, but this place gets so packed around holidays and big events, we couldn't get a reservation time that worked. Right now, they've got a special Cherry Blossom Tea (see pictures here) with live Japanese Koto music and beautifully scented blossom decor.

3. Take a dome tour of the US Capitol building 
They're tough to get, but this is actually happening! My Cousin works at the Capitol and organized a tour for D and I. Gonna take the tour and meet my other Cousin at the Congressional Office building that he works at for lunch on the Hill.

4. See a show at Ford's Theater (fords.org)
This landmark is a must see for tourists of DC, and so I've been many times. What a lot of people don't know, is that it is still very much a working theater. They hold shows there year-round. I feel like I'd get to take a step back in time watching a live production there- I think Hello Dolly! is running from now till the time we leave.

5. Brunch at the Tabard Inn (1739 N St. NW, Washington, DC)
c'est parfait, non?

     (image via ispythingsDC)

6. Take in an Orioles game at Camden Yards
D used to live in Baltimore when he first moved to the East Coast. I am dubbing him my personal tour guide for a quick day/night trip.

7. Visit Gettysburg
History, history, history. Can't get enough of it. It's a quick 1-1/2 hour drive to our Nation's most famous battleground.

8. Check out Passport DC- Open Houses of Washington, DC Embassies
In 3 years, I have never been in town for this! It happens once a year in May, and is such a fantastic opportunity to step inside those seemingly secretive Embassy Row homes and take a mini-tour of the world by sampling local foods, and enjoying each countries culture, art and music.

Honestly, I just like the idea of being free to snoop around. :P



No comments:

Post a Comment